Drafts supports iOS 14 and macOS 11 (Big Sur) widgets. Widgets are a great way to provide quick access information and functionality in Drafts directly from your home screen on iPhone, sidebar on iPad, and Notification Center on Mac. Drafts provides three types of widget, each of which can be displayed in multiple sizes.
Grid widgets are the most versatile type of widget. When adding a grid widget, select between the single, 8, or 16 slot sizes, after adding the widget, tap and hold the widget to configure functions available in your widget.
Configure each cell with one of the following options:
- Workspace: Diplays the name, icon and current inbox count for the selected workspace. This can include the default workspace. Tapping on the cell will launch Drafts directly to the draft list with that workspace loaded.
- Command: One of several built-in commands, such as “New Draft”, “Dictate”, “Search”. Tapping on these cell will launch the app directly to that function.
- Action: An action from your action list. Note that not all actions make sense for use in a widget, see details below about using actions in widgets.
List widgets display the top drafts from a workspace, including the default workspace. The number of drafts displayed varies with the size of the widget, but it will always be the first drafts as they would be displayed in app based on the sort options of the configured workspace.
The list widget may be configured to display the inbox, flagged or archive tab for the selected workspace. As such, it can be configured to provide quick access to a specific set of drafts (say, flagged items with a specific tag, per the workspace filter options), or just the most recent items in your inbox.
When the widget it tapped, it will open the specific draft in the list, or open the draft list to the selected workspace if the header of the widget is tapped.
The Draft Widget provides a way to display the content of a single selected draft on your Home Screen. Tapping on the widget will open the selected draft in the app. Useful for pinning a scratchpad draft you update with daily notes of similar.
When using actions with the grid widget, keep in mind that the selected action will be run as if run on a new blank draft in the app. The types of actions which make sense to use with the widget are typically actions which create new drafts, or open Drafts to a specific context or set of options.
All widget types offer display options, which can be configured along with other widget options, such as:
- Theme: Choose whether to display the widget in light or dark mode, or auto-switch between dark and light along with the system theme changes.
- Use Tint Color: If enabled, widgets will be tinted to match the tint color assigned to the element represented (workspace or action) as assigned in the app.