See also: iOS Changelog
- Highlight insertion point option to draw different background for current cursor position.
- Editor setting to limit max characters per line. Works along with margin settings to determine a maximum line length. Great for use with full screen mode to prevent excessively long lines.
- For more details, see editor settings docs
- “Run Action” option in drafts list contextual menu. Allows action to be run on multiple selected drafts. Select drafts and right-click to access.
- TouchBar support (when available). Uses same configuration options as Action Bar (but can display different action group).
- Two new monochrome editor themes. Available to select in
File > Editor Preferences...
Mediumaction step type to post to Medium.com. Docs
Mediumscript object to support scripting Medium API. Docs
- Script steps now have a new “Allow asynchronous execution” option. When enabled, the action will wait for a call to
script.complete()to know if a script step is finished. This allows use of async/await, Promises and other async function calls…but your script must call
script.complete()of the action will timeout and fail after 60 seconds.
CallbackURLobjects have a read-only
urlproperty to debug the URL which will be used with the configured parameters.
Other Fixes and Changes
- Fix: Hiding action group from list should not remove it from main menu.
Filemanager.readStringwould not return undefined properly when file was not found.
- Fix: Inaccurate action directory URLs used for opening actions posted to the directory.
- Fix: Appending to a flagged draft from the capture window could unflag the draft.
- Misc. additional fixes and stability improvements.
- New: Print action steps can now specify page margins (in points). This allows margins less than the default 72pt (1 inch) setting.
- Change: Switch to custom link identifier in Link mode to fix a few issues with URL highlighting with data detectors. Among other things,
message:links now work properly.
- Fix: Triggering a dictation action on unsupported OS version would report problem, but not properly finish the failed action.
- Fix: Issue that could prevent extended dictation from working properly if the system timed out listening.
- Fix: Vertically align select items in prompts to avoid clipping.
- Fix: Issue hidding action bar on 10.13 (High Sierra).
- Change: Tighten authorization scopes requested by Gmail actions based to avoid Google verification issue.
- Fix: Fix for issue where scripted alert might not appear when action was run by being queued in another action.
The full power of Drafts actions, previously only available on the iOS version, are now available for Mac! Integrate with many popular apps and services, and manipulate your drafts and text with scripted actions!
If you use the iOS version, all your existing actions will automatically sync to the Mac. If not, a default set of actions will be configured.
Actions are available through the action pane to the right of the main window, via the “Actions” menu, or the Action Bar.
The majority of actions just work across platforms, but there are a few exceptions - notably Evernote actions do not work on Mac. For full details, read the platform compatibility notes.
Other New Items
- All draft windows are now full main window instances with access to the drafts and action lists. They will be opened with panels closed if you double-click on a draft in the draft list, but can open them and access those features.
- File and reminder import features, configured in preferences, to automatically import from a reminders list and/or text files in the “Inbox” folder in
/iCloud Drive/Drafts/Inbox. Automatic Import documentation
- Ability to configure and run action group backups in Preferences. Backup docs
- Manage service credentials in Preferences. Credentials docs
- Support for additional URL actions, including /arrange, /runAction, and support for the
actionparameter on other actions (where supported). URL Scheme documentation
- Support “tagged” filtering in tag filters and workspaces. The inverse of the existing “untagged” special value - will match any draft with one or more tags assigned. Filtering docs
- Previews now support printing, and “Copy Rich Text” function.
- Include draft syntax in (i) draft detail summary
- “Inbox swipe defaults to trash” option in “…” draft list options menu.
Other Changes and Fixes
- Fix: Significant rewrite of some of the code behind updating the drafts list to try to address a few nagging issues with items temporarily disappearing from list and similar.
- Fix: Sync fixes address a number of issues, particularly ones that have arisen on the latest OS releases.
- Change: Streamlining pass through syntax highlighting code. Improves performance and resolves (hopefully) a few little oddities.
- Fix: Opening a draft from the archive in a separate window could result in a blank window.
- Change: Rework some “Window” menu commands in the main menu.
- Change: Tweak to priority of operations in sync to attempt to prevent some issue on iOS 13.
- Change: Do not update flagged status of draft when appending from the capture window.
- Change: In Markdown syntaxes, continue markdown quotes like lists are continued.
- Fix: Assign better window titles to draft windows.
- Change: Allow one level of undo if the “clear” button is pressed in the Capture window accidentally.
- Fix: Performance improvements editing large MultiMarkdown drafts.
- Fix: Fix for timing issue with URL calls which update the draft loaded in the editor.
- Change: Move flagged indicator to title line in the draft list to allow more compact presentation.
- Fix: Minor changes to the way items in draft list are refreshed when changes occur.
- Change: Built with the most recent updates to system SDKs.
- Fix: Better syntax highlighting for [id] style reference links in Markdown syntaxes.
- New: MultiMarkdown syntax now supports embedded LaTeX markup with
Along with this update, we will also be launching new User Guide and Scripting Reference websites, dramatically improving the available Drafts support documentation. Please visit these sites for more information and, if you haven’t yet, create an account at the Drafts Community to keep up with the latest news, tips and more.
Workspaces & Draft List
- Default Workspace. This is a special workspace that stores the preferred default settings for the draft list, and is applied when filters are cleared. This way, if you have workspaces that applies sort or display settings, clearing the list filters will also reset those back to your preferred default settings. The default workspace can be configured like any other workspace in the workspace manager. Workspaces are a Pro feature, but the default workspace is available in the free version. Details
- “Show Date” display option for drafts list and workspaces. Hide/show the date in the list. Along with other display settings, this allows everything but the draft title to be removed, for the minimalists out there.
- Custom Dictation interface (macOS 10.15 only - Available in October). New custom dictation interface, similar to that available on the iOS version of Drafts, with support for:
- Creation of new drafts, or inserting text at the cursor location.
- Selection of locale/language from any language supported by Siri dictation.
- Optional automatic timeout to commit changes after a period of silence.
/dictateURL scheme supported, see docs for details.
- See documentation for more details
Actions Coming Soon
We are also hard at work on a release of Drafts for Mac with full support for the automation actions available on the iOS version of Drafts. This version is expected to go into beta soon after this release.
- New: Add focus mode toggle button in editor (bottom row). Focus mode disables the new draft creation timeout. Details
- New: Add “Launch in focus mode” preference.
- Change: Markdown preview windows now maintain scroll position when updating content and enforce a minimum size. Using Previews
- Fix: Markdown syntax definitions did not handle reference link properly.
- Change: All default Markdown styles (Basic, Swiss, Foghorn) now support dark mode in CSS.
- Change: Updates to Find window, allowing multiple line texts and treating whitespace escape characters properly (\n, \t) in regular expression mode.
- New: Extensions tab in preferences, to allow configuration of share extension options.
- Change: If a selection is present in the editor, the character / word counts at bottom right now include a selection character count as well.
- Fix: Issue preventing Handoff from working properly from Mac to iOS.
- Fix: Improve markdown header recognition in syntax highlighting definitions to allow # in header text.
- Change: File > Copy and Share menu items now work when draft is open in separate window.
- Change: “Backup Now” in Preferences > Backup now prompts for save location rather than saving to iCloud Drive.
- New: Bulk export options in context menu of draft list to allow export of selected drafts as JSON, CSV or text file.
- Change: Better handling of restore purchase process to help avoid confusion about the fact that you can’t restore iOS purchases on the Mac.
- Fix: Preview windows now have minimum window size.
- Fix: Issue with link activation in link mode.
- Fix: Rewrote link mode (it was broken in last release). Should behave the same, other than links now being underlined.
- Fix: Fix performance and excessive logging issue in sync.
- Fix: Issue entering tags using characters in some (particularly Asian) languages.
- Fix: Fix for draft list appearing blank when first shown on 10.13 (High Sierra).
- Fix: Fix for garbage text issue when fonts are re-assigned by syntax highlighting, usually visible when using code blocks.
- Fix: Word/character count not properly updating for multiple windows.
- Fix: Sync timing issue that could cause some changes (typically archiving or trashing of a draft) to not get synced to other devices properly.
- Fix: Workaround a couple minor issues when running on as yet unreleased software.
- New: Capture window will float over other full screen apps and generally behaves more nicely with other apps.
- New: Arrange mode now supports arranging by sentence in addition to blocks and lines. This feature requires 10.14 (Mojave).
- New: Right-click context menu commands in arrange mode to allow access to move to top-bottom and duplicate commands.
Other Changes and Fixes
- Change: Alpha sort tags when displayed in draft list.
- Fix: Preview characters would not match text size when using some Asian language input methods.
- Fix: Drafts should not prevent shutdown when running.
- Fix: If main window is visible but minaturized to dock, re-open it when clicking on Dock icon.
- Fix: Do not re-open main window just when becoming the active app (e.g. via cmd-tab switching)
- Fix: Crashing bug when moving certain selections of drafts to a different folder, depending on specific sequence selecting them.
- Fix: Do not show main window re-activating app if floating draft window was already open.
- Fix: Displayed modified date not updated in draft list when changes made to a draft.
- New: Add “Window > Float Selected Draft” menu item to open new draft window.
- New: Add “Window > Float Selected Draft On Top” menu item to open new draft window floating over other applications.
- Fix: Drafts in floating windows should support all Editor menu commands.
- New: Button in title bar to toggle “on top” floating status of draft windows.
- New: Add “Editor > Navigate” menu item to trigger navigation.
- Change: Remove “Navigate” top level main menu item.
- New: Add periodic check for subscription status changes
- Fix: If same draft was loaded in main editor as other open windows, and the app became inactive directly after making edits, the edits could revert.
- Fix: Workspace editor would mis-select sort order for “all” folder when changing flagged sort.
- New: Update to MultiMarkdown 6.4.0 (was on 6.3.2).
- New: MULTIPLE WINDOWS! Double click a draft in the draft list to open it in a separate window.
- New: Badge notification settings now allow badge count to be based on a selected workspace’s inbox only. This allow greater control over which drafts should be considered unprocessed for purposes of the badge count. If a workspace is selected, other filtering options are disabled.
- New: Add “Maps” button to created/modified locations in draft detail to allow opening the location in Maps.
- New: Display device along with created, modified dates in draft detail allow referencing whether the draft was created or last modified on Mac, iPhone or iPad.
- New: Moved navigation function from toolbar to within editor. Now responds to
CMD-\to popup anywhere in draft as well.
Other Changes and Fixes
- Fix: Hide find panel with window that opened it.
- Change: Change tag token field behavior to avoid all existing tags being selected when entering the field.
- Fix: Better handling of sync changes which trash/delete drafts which are loaded in the editor.
- Fix: Deselecting a draft from a range of drafts would not remove it from a subsequent merge operation.
- Change: Be more aggressive about trying to sync any pending changes on application quit.
- Fix: Improve tint color selector in icon selection popover in Workspace editor.
- Change: Empty state in drafts list and capture window draft list.
- Fix: Don’t open main window when activating app if capture window is already visible.
- Change: Misc. UI tweaks.
- Fix: “Open main window on launch” preference was not working properly.
- Fix: Clicking on dock icon should open main window if no other windows are visible.
- Fix: Prevent task marks from being marked as grammar errors when grammar checking is enabled.
- Fix: Hopefully a fix for case where duplicate drafts could get created from Share extension or other URL calls.
- Change: If HTML passed to HTML Prevew has a
titleelement, use that title as the window title.
- Fix: Several VoiceOver labels in preferences.
- Fix: New blank line at end of draft did not have the right line height/style until something was typed on the line.
- Fix: Merge operation did not properly pickup selected rows if you shift-selected a range for rows in list.
New Version Numbering: Moving forward, each feature release of Drafts will get a major version number. Minor version numbers will still be used for bug fix and minor releases. If you look back, it’s the same thing we’ve been doing, but we’re dropping the “5”.
- New: “New in Workspace” option in File menu to create new draft with workspace tags already assigned.
- Change: Better HTML output for fenced code block when using GitHub Markdown option.
- Change: Edit > Find > Search Drafts (shift-command-F) should work in Capture window.
- Fix: Better handling of activation of the app when no windows are visible.
- Change: Support broader data types in share extension.
- New: “Tag > Add…” and “Tag > Remove…” commands to bulk assign or remove tags from selected drafts. Available both in File menu and context menu of draft list.
- New: “Merge…” command to merge multiple selected drafts. Available both in File menu and context menu of draft list.
- New: Rename and Delete tag commands in context menu of tags in the filter list.
- New: “Correct spelling automatically” editor setting to better support automatic substitutions.
- New: Ability to assign global keyboard shortcut to the main Drafts window (in Preferences).
Other Fixes and Changes
- Change: Reorganized flag menu items in File menu and added support for using them on multiple selections in list.
- Fix: Disabling “Open main window on launch” preference was not working properly.
- Fix: Sync sometime would not fail to properly update other devices when a draft was move archived/trashed.
- Fix: Appending to draft via capture window would not update the draft in the main window editor if it was loaded.
- Fix: Issue selecting draft in draft list after “new draft after” timeout expired.
- Initial Public Release